Friday, June 12, 2009

and good news again

As I've been saying, one of the things that was almost as scary as the possiblity of bad lab results was the fear of the hospital bill and the whole "how will I ever pay that" issue.

Yesterday I had a meeting with the young man at the hospital that is in charge of "Patient Benefit Access".

Last week, when I was still in a dither about just getting through the procedure, he had given me a list of documents I needed to bring with me: birth certificate, social security card, bank statement, proof of income, mortgage statement, auto registration. Seems they want you to prove who you are and how much income you have and the value of your property. Just like any government program.

Unlike any other time I've applied for any help, however, this time I was told that I can get assistance.

That little procedure they did last week ---- the hospital billing would have been almost $4800.00. With the assistance, the most the billing will be is about $600.00.

And it will also cover part of the cost of the surgery I'll be having in July.

Will wonders never cease?!

I'm glad that a big chunk of it will be taken care of --- I'll still have to figure out how to get the $600.00 paid, but it will be easier than it would have been.

4 comments:

Alison said...

WOW what a difference! How wonderful!

We got a bill Monday from our hospital for the stuff we'd already paid in April. In full. Thousands. With the bank statements to prove it. Yo? (knock knock) Anyone home over there? I'm glad your path through that mess was so much easier!

Bev said...

Thanks Alison, and good luck on weaving your way through the mess on your end!

Travelin'Oma said...

I've been told that I need the same surgery, but I am in debt $5,000 just for the tests to tell me I need it. Ridiculous! I'm glad you've got some support!

Bev said...

Marty, I know what you mean --- I would have been looking at that same bill, but thank goodness I could get the assistance.

I hope you'll be able to find a way too