Thursday, April 30, 2009

An unusual request

During the time that I've been blogging I've ask folks to pray for my dad and my mom and my husband and my daugher. I've added my prayers to those of others in the blog world for like causes.

Certainly I never thought I'd been asking for myself.

Since I'm taking this (what seems to me, drastic) step, I feel I should explain.

As a woman of "that age", I had gone through "the change" almost 5 years ago.

I'm the only woman of my family to do this "the old fashioned way" as every other female member of the clan had done this with surgery at some point in their lives (before they got to the age I am), so certainly I have no guide book here (Ok, I guess I'm writing one for my daughter!)

However, about a month ago, I began having episodes of bleeding again.

A trip to the doctor revealed a normal pap smear, and a biopsy done in the office showed "nothing remarkable" (really, that was the comment on the lab result!).

The ultra sound (a whole other experience to be ranted about another time) revealed that I have a small fibroid tumor which is "not of concern" and supposedly is not the cause of the bleeding.

Now the doctor wants to do a D&C, which my reading tells me is not really helpful to treat post menopausal bleeding.

Part of my issue here is that I don't have a really trusting relationship with this doctor --- it's okay in terms of being able to go for that yearly exam, but I'm feeling really out here by myself just now.

I'm really not good at asking for help for anything, even when (in looking back) I should, but this thing, frankly, scares me.

So if you all could say a little word for me to have understanding and guidance and make proper choices, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks to you all.

3 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

You got it!!!!! Hopefully, it's just one of those weird things that crops up.

God knows I know about those -- I call myself the 100th woman. Why, you ask? Because if something doesn't happen to 99 out of 100 people, you can make a pretty safe bet it will happen to me.

i will pray that you aren't thw 100th woman.

Barbi by the Sea said...

Dear Bev, I just went through that same situation in October before moving here in November.
It was scary for me as I had not had any sign of bleeding since age 42. Then suddenly at 68 I had a very thick build up of endometral tissue. After the D&C I was good to go and have not had any further problems. My doctor indicated that it is pretty normal for women to have bizzaar happenings at least once or twice during the ages of late 60's and early 70's. Break through bleeding,polyps,fibroids and the like. Hope all is well and you are in our prayers.

Bev said...

thanks to you both!