I used "the google" and found out that trunk shows actually began in the fashion industry, where a designer would pack up the new designs in a trunk (hence the title) and schlepp them from boutique to boutique to sell the year's orders.
I had a conversation with my sister over the weekend about this. And even though she is still recovering from the flu (poor baby, she can't get the shots as she is allergic to eggs and she counts on all us other folks to do so --- and someone she came into contact just didn't do that for her), she was willing to share her experience of attending a trunk show with me.
So here is what she said she has heard discussed at trunk shows (by quilters, that is):
- how did the artist get started doing this
- what is the process the artist uses to do the work
- how has the artist's work progressed from the beginning works to current ones
- where does the artist get the ideas for the work
- who and what is the artist's inspiration
- what is the artist's philosophy about the work
Sounds like the beginning of an outline to me