Sunday, March 08, 2009

Photographic Schizophrenia

Sounds like a scary disease!

Let me explain.

When I apply to art shows with my jewelry, I must go through a jurying process.

To do jurying you are required to submit photos.

To get through a jury, those photos must be of only one object, with a plain background and tightly focused on the object so the details of the work show.

I'm getting pretty good at taking those photos.

Like these, for example.



I have noticed, however, that a lot of the pictures that are now appearing on places like Etsy have been "fru frued" --- that is they are are "busy" backgrounds, or they include things in the picture that do not come with the object for sale.

Hence the schizophrenia ---

I'm wondering if my sales would be better if I did THAT kind of photos to put out on Etsy.

For instance, this photo.

It's clear, nicely cropped so that you see the details of the bear.

It would be a great shot for a jury photo.

But is it a good one to advertise Miss Cupcake is for sale?

Would it be better if I had a glass cake plate to sit her on? Or some other assorted props, even though those are not part of the deal when she is sold.

I'm confused, and frankly, don't know which is better.

My old fashioned eyes tell my brain that I should apply the K.I.S.S. principle, but I'm not sure that still works in today's advertising.

What do you think?

No comments: