Wednesday, May 30, 2007

thoughts on being "stuck" ...

I came up with an idea for a contemporary story about a week ago, and started in like gang busters....even wrote something that resembles an outline, (which is definately out of character for my usual approach) and even started the first bit of the beginning chapter, then I got totally stuck.

What is this about? Hmmmmm, partly because I am drawing from very real, very close to my life characters, writing this is a little scary....sort of like "writing will make it so" and since the whole premise of the thing is rather dark at the beginning, maybe I've just paralized myself with big time fear.....

So, I guess I need to go back to fundamentals and work on character descriptions, etc., while I work through this fear thing.....

Odd place tho'

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

I get stuck all the time, Bev, which is why The Great American Novel is in a bunch of notebooks waiting to be typed into Word and edited and finished.

Do I have a focus issue? Yes.
Does life intrude? Yes.
Does it frustrate me? Yes.

Sometimes it takes time to find your direction when writing. So do the character things, etc. and you'll prolly find your groove and if you don't, try something else.